This the Eigth bi-weekly newsletter!
Don't forget PAC Fundraising
2015 January 08 2014, Newsletter #08
|Monday Jan. 5||School reopens after Winter Break|
|Tuesday Jan 13||Kindergarten Immunization|
|Wednesday Jan. 14||Late French Immersion Info Meeting (7:00-8:00pm)|
|Thursday Jan. 15||PIE meeting at Bayview 7:00pm|
|Monday Jan. 19||Professional Day|
|Monday Jan. 26||PAC Meeting|
|Wednesday Feb. 4||Parent Teacher Conferences (dismissal at 1:45 (main) and 2:00 dismissal for the annex|
|Thursday Feb. 12||Parent Social at Displace on 4th|
WELCOME BACK TO ALL OF OUR FAMILIES AND STAFF:
We would like to welcome Amandeep Kang who will be working as a resource teacher taking over Nancy Bourque’s teaching role.
SCHOOL ORGANIZATION FOR NEXT YEAR
A notice was sent home this week asking you to fill in whether your child will be returning to Gordon or moving on to another school. This information is valuable as it allows us to work on the school organization for next year. We are receiving many application for kindergarten and our Grade 6 Late Immersion Program. We would like to make sure that we have room for all of our families in our community. We are not able to take any new cross-boundary students now.
- Gordon school is in the process of being demolished and thank you to all the parents and others who have continued to take pictures and videos throughout the week. It is truly a fascinating process and the students were extremely excited to be able to get a glimpse of the action on Tuesday.
- The buses will be picking up south, away from the construction entrance until the city changes the street signs. The bus drivers know to pick up and drop off at the “Invest In Our Children” sign across from the intersection of Bayswater and 7th.
- At the main school the sinks and countertops have been replaced in the girl’s washrooms.
- We now have 3 classes eating their lunch in the lunchroom (Divisions 9, 10 & 11).
PIE (Partners of Inclusive Education) MEETING
Please join us for pie and light refreshments while we continue our steps towards a proactive focus on support and advocacy for children with special needs and the positive learning outcomes for all children.
DATE: Thursday, January 15th 2015
TIME: 7.00 pm
PLACE: Bayview Elementary School- Library
We are pleased to welcome Pauline Holden - Youth and Family Worker, to join us to talk about 2 school programs which encourage social learning, empathy, friendship and social skills.
- Roots of empathy program
- How full is your bucket?
PIE( Partner's for Inclusive education) is a unique opportunity to share ideas, and show support for each person in our school community with open collaboration and communication.
PARENT TEACHER CONFERENCES ON FEBRUARY 4
In the next couple of weeks there will be a notice sent home to invite you to come to a conference in your child’s classroom. This may be a goal-setting conference, a student led conference or an individual time to meet with your child’s teacher. If you would like to have an individual time with your teacher and your child’s class is having student led conferences, you can set up another time to meet with your child’s teacher.
ADVANCE NOTICE: PARENT SOCIAL
PAC Pub Social for parents, guardians and staff - Thursday February 12 at Displace on 4th and Blenheim, 7 pm. Plan an evening out, away from the children, to socialize informally with the Gordon community. Tickets will be available in advance on Eventbrite. More information to come next week. Stay tuned!
LATE FRENCH IMMERSION INFORMATION MEETING
Reminder for those parents of Grade 5 students who are interested in the Late French Immersion program that there is an information evening at the Queen Elizabeth Auditorium on Wednesday, January 14th, 2015 from 7:00-8:00pm. Please bring your children. (You can bring your most recent report cards to this meeting and we will attach them to your application.)
- Westside Vancouver Skills and Games – Saturday’s from Jan. 17 to June 6th.
- Split Second Basketball offers Technical Skill Training for Grades 2-5 boys and girls from 2pm - 3:30pm at St. George’s School. If you are interested please register at www.splitsecondbasketball.com/westsidevancouver