This the Twelfth bi-weekly newsletter!
- The Gordon Gazette (A message from the Principal Margaret Davidson)
- What's Happening in the Gordon Classrooms...
- PAC News
Don't forget PAC Fundraising
- for $19.12 get an authenticated and certified piece of the 1912 General Gordon School and support the new playground
- General Gordon Playground
February 20 2015, Newsletter #11
|Monday||March 30||PAC Meeting at Bayview – 7pm|
|Friday||April 3||Good Friday|
|Monday||April 6||Easter Monday|
|Friday||April 17||Ready Set Learn Event @ Annex 1:30pm (3-4 yr olds)|
|Monday||April 27||Professional Day (school is not in session)|
|Wednesday||April 29||Class photos/teams/clubs etc. (Annex) PM|
WHAT’S HAPPENING AT THE ANNEX?
- Please join us for the 30th Annual ChildRun Sunday May 31st, 2015. This year QEA & General Gordon will be joining forces to walk or run to fight against Childhood Cancer. Our goal is to collectively raise $2000.00 for BC Children's Hospital Foundation. "We Run For Fun" and want to make this year a great event. The team's name is Queen Elizabeth Annex & General Gordon. Sign up before April 15th to receive the early bird fee. Adult $30.00 Child $20.00
- Come and run with us on Wednesday and Friday mornings 8:30-9:00am around the park at the Annex. (Starting April 1st to May 29th) (Parents volunteers are appreciated to keep our kids safe at each corner of the park).
- Colour contest for this year's t-shirt design. Deadline April 20th. http://www.bcchf.ca/assets/Events_Programs/ChildRun/ChildRun-2015-T-Shir... Questions? Contact Willa Kriebel 604-818-5200 or email email@example.com
- Ready Set Learn Event – Open to all student in the Queen Elizabeth Annex and General Gordon neighbourhoods that are aged 3-4 or those students entering Kindergarten in Sept. Come and enjoy a concert by Charlotte Diamond and her Hug Bug Band and enjoy a literacy event. Happening on Friday, April 17 from 1:30 – 3pm at the Q.E. Annex Gym. No RSVP needed.
WHAT’S HAPPENING AT THE MAIN?
- Division 3, 8, 10 & 11 are participating in a POETRY CAFÉ on Wednesday, April 1. Students will be sharing their poetry with one another.
- Division 10 & 11 are creating cherry blossoms using various mixed media with the expert teaching from Ms. Rassias.
- On Wednesday, March 25, the adjudicators came to judge our students’ Heritage Fair projects. The students were proud of their accomplishments. The judges were extremely impressed with out students’ work and the organizer who has been to our Heritage Fair presentations before really sees the improvement and progress the students are making. Thank you to all the staff, the judges, the parents and the students for making this event so successful.
- Division 10, 11 and 15 were able to participate in the “We love Kits Colouring Project Display.” To connect with the community and celebrate community spirit, the West Broadway business area liaises with local schools on projects, including art displays and more. At the heart of the matter, WE LOVE KITS celebrates love for our neighbours, for our friendly merchants and for our community!
A few examples: I love my neighbourhood because it is peaceful and the only thing I hear is the birds and crows. My favorit thing is to walk dawn the street and look at the demolition!
I love That there is Menchies there. I also like that there is the candy store called stickys there is so many good candy. Even there is the libery it has so many good books there. Also my friends live near me and kits. I can walk to the ice rink I go to. I LOVE kits!
I love my naberhood because every body who live in it is so so kind! I also love ther are somany awesome stores!
Body Science at the annex and main school
Shani Danzig and Amy (our nurse) will be working together at presenting body science lessons. The Body Science lessons will cover terminology for body parts, appropriate and inappropriate touching for all grades. We will add reproduction in Gr 3 and puberty in Gr 4/5. These topics are in the PLOs. Also we will be talking about what to do if you come across condoms and needles.
Satisfaction Surveys for Grades 4 & 7 :
Students in Grades 4 & 7 will be completing online surveys answering questions about their learning environment next week. Parents will also be receiving a survey that they can do online at home until the end of May.
Foundation Skill Assessment Results for Grades 4 & 7:
Parents can pick up their Grade 4 child’s FSA booklet results and Grade 7 students may pick up their FSA results.
- PAC meeting on Monday, March 30, 7 pm Bayview School Library.
- Parent Coffee morning, Friday April 17, 8-9 a.m. at the Bus Stop on Bayswater
- Sun Run on Sunday, April 19 - join the Gordon School Team!
- Save the Date! Sunday, May 24 - Gordon Bike-a-thon and Fair - This fun, all ages, community event will raise funds for the playground at the new school. Mark your calendar and plan to attend, either as a volunteer or a spectator or both! Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to help. More information will be coming soon.
NEW PLAYGROUND FUNDRAISERS:
Tell your friends, family and neighbours and co-workers so they support General Gordon too!
Do you shop at Cobs Bakery on West 4th at Vine?
Cobs will donate 5% of sales. Tell them you want to Support General Gordon Elementary when you buy your baked goods. You can also support our school at Cob’s on Davie at Bute in the West End.
Do you shop online at Stong’s Grocery Store?
Now you can support General Gordon Elementary when you plan your online order for delivery. At the payment finalization page select General Gordon Elementary from the drop down menu. You will need to do this each time you order. Stong’s will donate 4% of all sales. Valid for online orders only. Not valid in store. Not valid with Stong’s gift cards.
Stong’s will deliver to: Vancouver, Burnaby, Richmond, New Westminister, Port Moody, Port Coquitlam, North & West Vancouver and even Bowen Island.
All funds raised through Stong’s and Cobs will go the Playground Fund. http://gordonplayground.strikingly.com/